Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Howto make USB boot drives

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    @oygle,

The best way is to use 2 USB drives,

1. A USB pendrive, and you use mkusb to put a live Kubuntu system there.

2. The target USB-SSD, and you can use gparted to format it. You need not (should not) use mkusb on this drive.
    Step 1 was easy. Now, with step 2, does it matter if I connect the external SSD to the Dell/Kubuntu or the Lenovo/Win10 when installing from the USB pendrive ??

Do the BIOS settings of the 'host' computer matter ? In terms of installing ? I would assume as it is the Lenovo/Win10 computer that I will be having the external SSD connected all the time, it makes no sense doing it from the Dell, is that correct ? Plus the Dell is failing more now, the video issues are worse.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by oygle View Post
    Step 1 was easy. Now, with step 2, does it matter if I connect the external SSD to the Dell/Kubuntu or the Lenovo/Win10 when installing from the USB pendrive ??

Do the BIOS settings of the 'host' computer matter ? In terms of installing ? I would assume as it is the Lenovo/Win10 computer that I will be having the external SSD connected all the time, it makes no sense doing it from the Dell, is that correct ? Plus the Dell is failing more now, the video issues are worse.
    Yes, particularly when there are graphics chips/cards that need different drivers and one of them needs a proprietary driver, and if they boot in different modes (UEFI mode or BIOS mode alias CSM alias legacy mode).

But you must be aware that installing Ubuntu 22.04.x LTS with the installer Ubiquity in UEFI mode will touch the EFI system partition on the internal drive, which means that the external SSD will not have a complete boot system. This is good, if you intend to use the SSD only on that computer.

But if you want a portable system, you had better unplug or otherwise disable the internal drive during the installation (and later on boot into the SSD via a temporary boot menu started via some hotkey). Or create the portable system via the alternative method via a compressed image of Ubuntu Server.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yes, particularly when there are graphics chips/cards that need different drivers and one of them needs a proprietary driver, and if they boot in different modes (UEFI mode or BIOS mode alias CSM alias legacy mode).
    Okay thanks @sudodus

But you must be aware that installing Ubuntu 22.04.x LTS with the installer Ubiquity in UEFI mode will touch the EFI system partition on the internal drive, which means that the external SSD will not have a complete boot system. This is good, if you intend to use the SSD only on that computer.
    I had intended to use 23.10, and assume it is going to use Ubiquity as the installer in UEFI mode. By "touching the EFI system on the internal drive", I hope that excludes any Windows 10 boot issues. Just checked the partitions on that (an internal SSD) and it has a 100Mb EFI system partition, showing as 100% free space. I don't need a portable system, the external SSD will be connected all the time.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think Ubuntu Desktop 23.10 is using the new installer that is not acting like Ubiquity, but 24.04 LTS is released now, and will get much more attention concerning debugging and polishing. I would not install 23.10 now, unless there would be a very specific reason because it will be supported only 3 months from now (a total of 9 months from the release date October 2023).

The only alternatives for me would be 22.04.4 LTS (for a smooth ride) or 24.04 LTS (to get newer software).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks @sudodus

The only alternatives for me would be 22.04.4 LTS (for a smooth ride) or 24.04 LTS (to get newer software).
    It has to be done in the next few days, so as you say 22.04.4 LTS is a smooth ride. If 24.04 LTS is only just released, I'd prefer to wait a few months, less bugs. Even though 23.10 has only 3 months of support, it may have the new installer, and in 3 months time, I can do a fresh install of 24.04 LTS

Edit: Whilst I couldn't find anything to do with Kubuntu and Calamares, Lubuntu makes it clear at https://lubuntu.me/mantic-released/

System Installer

We are once again utilizing Calamares 3.3 Alpha 2 in Lubuntu 23.10, as it has proven to be highly reliable since its initial use in Lubuntu 22.10.
    Another edit: Found this article, it explains it is only Lubuntu up until now that has Calamares, and Kubuntu will also have that installer in 24.04 - https://9to5linux.com/kubuntu-24-04-...ler-by-default
    Last edited by oygle; 1 Week Ago at 09:51 PM. Reason: found info on Calamares

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The Kubuntu 23.10 install 'sort of' went okay, but .... https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2497207

Page 127 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127